We Sew Retro

Thursday, 8 December 2011

Step 4 - Have I got it right...dun-dun-DUUUUNN!

So now the bit I've been equally longing for and loathing....cutting the real fabric and making up the coat outer layer according to my redrafted pattern.

As I have said previously, I chose a cappucino coloured mohair knit jersey, so obviously had to use a nap layout. I decided to do things the long way around and cut each side out separately, rather than cut on doubled-up fabric.

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I accidentally forgot to snip a couple of notches whilst cutting out even after bothering to mark all of them on my paper. Oops. Anyway, It's alreet cos I snipped the sleeve notches and they are the ones that matter the most in this pattern.
Then for careful marking, tacking and stitching of the shoulder darts:

And finally, ta-daaaaa... I'm pretty chuffed with this. It is actually a very easy pattern to follow, even if it does look unusual to start with. And as others who have used this Folkwear pattern will comment, the basic coat makes up very quickly:

I'm getting the faux fur, and lining materials this weekend (as well as any other little fancy bits for embellishing the back), so will try and keep you posted soon enough,
loving stitches xx

No comments:

Post a Comment